portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index portrait-sculpture.com
A site provided for professional portrait and figurative sculptors, as well as serious students

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register(DISABLED)Register(DISABLED) 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing with Facial Features to learn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Internet Cafe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil Minchinton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Playing with Facial Features to learn Reply with quote

Hi, just tried this free software trial today called FaceGen (no key codes or expiry date) As an aid to helping understand the facial planes and how small changes can make a difference, I have found it useful. You can adjust the values of different facial features then rotate the head in all directions to understand the relationships. Unfortunately, you can't save the results unless you buy the full version but you could 'Print Screen' and dump into most applications to save a particular view. It will also generate a rendering from one or more photos. It's not precise but ok as a start to getting familiar with the human skull.
Here's some sample screen dumps - A quick way to see different heads is to press the 'Generate' button for a random head.

Have fun! Very Happy
Heidi Maiers
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! I just read a little about it and downloaded the free version. I can already see a lot of potential uses for this little gem. For example, when you are doing portraits of deceased people and only have limited photographs of one or two angles, maybe you can import those photos in the program and generate a whole range of views! Exciting possibilities about playing with the expression, hair styles, etc. Thanks Phil - I'm going to have a lot of fun with this one. My regular job is with a software company, and I love exploring and finding uses for new apps.
http://portrait-sculpture.com/CoffeeFund.htm
Heidi Maiers
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having a blast with this program!
For fun, I input two photos that I had of one of my coworkers that I may use for a model someday. Front shot and profile.

This is what the program generated from those:

They are fairly accurate in the face, but I notice the rest of the head - ears, skull, back of neck, etc., are treated genericly and you'd need to go in an modify those yourself to get closer to the input images.
Once adjusted, and you can change the expression and everything how you want, you can turn the head all around and export the current view as a bitmap image. Not sure why you are unable to save Phil - I am using the File->Save Image feature of the free version and it lets me save as bmp to my file folder.
Anyway, here are a few examples:

This can really be useful when you have very limited angles and photos as your resource material and no live model!
http://portrait-sculpture.com/CoffeeFund.htm
Phil Minchinton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Facegem Reply with quote

Hi Heidi, glad you like it - I think it's a great piece of software, especially for free. To be honest I downloaded an earlier version a couple of years ago and went back for the update because I'm trying to do my first serious portrait and the subject is my grandmother who passed away some 15 years ago. As you say you need to tweak it but it has the capability. Thanks for the save tip Wink - the previous version wouldn't allow it but now possible!

Regards

Phil
Mariana Espinal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: hi, Reply with quote

I can't use facegen because im a mac user, but i found something similar called Blend.
I'll post some pictures of it's program in a few.

It's really cool, i wish i cud use facegen, i have this picture of my great grandmother, and that program can make people younger, i'd like to see her younger. well i'll figure it out. lol

thanks for telling us about it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Internet Cafe All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: