portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index portrait-sculpture.com
A site provided for professional portrait and figurative sculptors, as well as serious students

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register(DISABLED)Register(DISABLED) 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fritz Cleary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Internet Cafe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Levinson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Fritz Cleary Reply with quote

Hi All,
I believe I remember this topic discussed before,hollow eyes.I believe the comments were that modeled this way they are mysterious,and/or an entrance to the soul of the subject.I have to admit I'm fascinated and have been since a very young man although I've never finished a piece in this manner.When I was in my late teens I visited Fritz Cleary in his studio in Allenhurst NJ.I was not educated, or, observant enough at that stage to ask him about this technique and all his heads were done in this manner.I don't believe it had anything to do to with a rough or unfinished look as the pieces were smoothly finished.I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge of his work and knows of the reason he had for this technique.
Joel
Sandy Deane

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: hollow eyes Reply with quote

Hello Joel
Could you describe the hollow eye technique you refer to? I googled Fritz Cleary, but no images of his work so far.
I have seen examples of the iris scooped out in various ways, including leaving a little triangular tab as a highlight.
Joel Levinson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: hollow eyes Reply with quote

Hi Sandy,
Thanks for your reply.By hollow eyes I'm talking about there being empty eyesockets;no eyeball whatever.I believe Stewart has a portrait he finished in this manner. Fritz Cleary was a past president of the NSS,and,yet I can't find any info online regarding his work either.I do have an article clipped from an old issue of Sculpture Review which makes no reference to style only biography.
Regards,
Joel
Phil Minchinton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel,

In the absence of any literature, I wonder whether an approach to the artist Peggy Appleby who apparently studied with him might be fruitful. This is a link to her web site http://www.peggyappleby-artist.com/

Regards

Phil
Joel Levinson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Fritz Cleary Reply with quote

Phil,
It appears I didn"t look hard enough...thank you!I am going to email her for possible info.I'll pass it along.Another name she mentioned in her biography Geza De Vegh,I vaguely remember him as being an active character in my area.Thanks again.....
Joel
Stuart

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sculpted 2 pieces which ended up without the eyeball. In both cases I didn't initially conciously decide to leave it out, but they seemed to be finished at that point.
Knowing when a sculpture is complete of course is one of the most difficult decisions to make and often pieces suffer from over-working.
I don't think the hollow eye thing would necessarily be successful as a regular technique as not every portrait would work with this approach.
One thing is certain and that is that all the forms surrounding the eyeball would have to be convincing, including any hint of direction of focus.
I personally favour approaching each portrait differently, stylistically, in an attempt to reflect something about the subject, but this is also difficult and I'm not always successful at that either.
Jo Davidson sculpted a wonderful hollow eyed woman, Gertrude Vanderbilt. I'll post a picture.

Joel Levinson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: hollow eyes Reply with quote

Stuart and Phil
Stuart thanks again for your input & benefit of your experience.I contacted Peggy who studied only briefly with Fritz.She said he instructed her do her sculpt with the "hollow eyes"She commented that she felt the piece unfinished,but,it was well recieved whenever she showed the sculpture.She said he didn't reveal any particulat reason for this approach.It may be that he did it simply because thats what appealed to him with no special artistic theory or approach.Phil I thank you for the contact info and it seems Peggy and I went to different high schools together.
Joel
Phil Minchinton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel,

Glad to have been of some small service and interesting to hear Peggy's response. Like you I find the eyes and their treatment in a portrait key to the overall effect. Whilst a matter of personal choice for the artist, I believe it is often the eyes we subconciously look at in people to read their mood etc. and the facial features support that reading.
When that's not available, it immediately forces the viewer to look for other indicators in the features and if there are none ( such as in Stuart's example above) it almost forces you to imagine what the subject of the portrait is experiencing or has experienced. Interesting!

Regards

Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Internet Cafe All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: