portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index portrait-sculpture.com
A site provided for professional portrait and figurative sculptors, as well as serious students

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register(DISABLED)Register(DISABLED) 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bernini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Internet Cafe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Levinson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Bernini Reply with quote

Hi All,
In at least one other thread we had a discussion about how a portrait sculptor has to interpret in order to compensate for the lack of colors in the piece, i.e. shallow detail for lighter eyes,deeper for dark etc.In a book I recently obtained there was an anecdote regarding Bernini.He was teaching a class and made a comment that one could not do an exact portrait in marble relative to this subject.On the sly he had an assistant that all the students knew exit left to another room and cover his hair and face in flour.When he re-entered later no one recognised him.
Joel
Stuart

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Pale eyes Reply with quote

Interesting anecdote there Joel. Of course the eyes would have looked weird peering out of all that floury whiteness.

Talking of pale eyes ..........I've just finished my portrait of Walt Whitman whose eyes seem to have been almost colourless and the pupils more obvious than usual.
I had to find a way of modelling them to reflect these elements.
I've never before had to sculpt so much hair and beard either.
Extraordinary individual. I read a lot of biographical information before I started and some of his poems as the job progressed.
Wonderful opportunity.
Stuart

Joel Levinson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Open Eyes Reply with quote

Stuart, The eyes open with monochromatic,white skin and hair ,would be strange at the very least.However,if you apply this anecdote to life casters where the eyes are always closed a point can made regarding that form.
Joel
Phil Minchinton

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lovely characterful portrait Stuart and the eyes do have that 'tepid, watery' appearance with the irises lightly defined.

Regards

Phil
Jeanette Lewis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely work Stuart,
I had wondered at what age you might depict him.
Jeanette
Tamara

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful. Nice wrinkling around the eyes to show his age. His parted lips gives a relaxed look along with the watery eyes. That sure is a full beard, I bet it was fun to sculpt. Smile
Stuart

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the kind comments....
Re: the beard.......at times I got a bit lost in there.
Fortunately there was one image of him as a young man with only a suggestion of a beard that gave me some clues as to the structure around the mouth and chin.
Amazing man
S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Internet Cafe All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: