portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index portrait-sculpture.com
A site provided for professional portrait and figurative sculptors, as well as serious students

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register(DISABLED)Register(DISABLED) 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Royal Academy London - Bronze Exhibition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Internet Cafe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil Minchinton

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Royal Academy London - Bronze Exhibition Reply with quote

Hi to All,

I was lucky enough to visit the Bronze Exhibition at the Royal Academy this week and thought I'd share something of the experience. Unfortunately photography is not allowed but the RA has posted videos connected with the exhibition online which will give you an idea of what is displayed. The opening figure is The Dancing Satyr - http://vimeo.com/50070271 and things only get better from there.
Within the exhibition is a hall demonstrating the various stages of casting bronze through lost wax and sand techniques as well as various patinations. There are many portrait busts from across the ages, some which will probably not be seen in public again for many years.
Altogether, I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who can get there , my lasting impression will be the mastery of the ancients and the durability of the material.
These are just a couple of links to videos and pictures of favourite pieces. http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/exhibitions/bronze

http://vimeo.com/50214061

St Elisabeth of Hungary by Gilbert -
Unique forms of Continuity in Space 1913 -

I hope this gives some flavour of what is an excellent exhibition.

Regards to All

Phil
Paula Slater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Phil, for the links and photos. I loved looking at these really beautiful pieces that have endured through time and are still amazing!

Love and Light,
Paula
Stuart

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil
Looks like a great show.
Makes me wish my old home town was a bit closer.
Stuart
Phil Minchinton

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paula & Stuart for responding, I haven't been as active as I'd wish in recent times but it's nice to touch base some times. I hope to get back and view the exhibition again before it ends as there are so many pieces to be seen. Life is Short, Enjoyments are Many, Choose Well...Create the Dream

Phil
Jeanette Lewis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,
Wow! love that image of Elisabeth of Hungary, thanks for sharing, and keeping us informed of what's out there!
How intrigueing that there are possibly more satyrs under the sea, hope they get to retrieve them...keep an eye for developments Phil!
Jeanette
Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Internet Cafe All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: