portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index portrait-sculpture.com
A site provided for professional portrait and figurative sculptors, as well as serious students

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register(DISABLED)Register(DISABLED) 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Triptych panel glue?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Internet Cafe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeanette Lewis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Triptych panel glue? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
hope no one minds if I ask for suggestions on which glue I could use to fix some painted panels into a triptych - that won't stain the painting later on.
Usual story, client wants Tryptich, I draw out a model for the woodwork, to give to his freind - advise on what kind of wood for Icons, blah blah.
Client returns with Triptych, already assembled...and in the wrong wood, with fixed frames on. Rolling Eyes
To solve problem I suggest painted panels, which can be inserted as the wood its made from is ...(can't think of polite word) - "unsuitable" for paint or gesso -!
However, I now have to glue the paintings in securely as their church is 12th century with damp problems to match, and I don't want the panels to plip out any time this century.
HEELP!
thank you - any (polite) suggestions are very welcome! Very Happy
Phil Minchinton

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Suggestion Reply with quote

Hi Jeanette,

Have a look at this glue http://www.axminster.co.uk/titebond-titebond-ii-premium-wood-glue-prod22583/#bottomsection

If you have a spare scrap of panel of the same thickness, it might be worth checking for absorbency. Sometimes a thin sealer coat of the same glue first allowed to dry will prevent bleeding. Normally though, applied indoors it will go off rapidly before any damage can be done and any excess can be wiped off with a damp cloth if necessary.
Jeanette Lewis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,
thanks for this - Smile I need something that grips quickly, so that the curved edges on the daler board won't have a chance to curl - so this sounds like just what I need.
I was thinking of PVA, but thought it too slow in drying.
I want to get it done and back to the client a.s.a.p. as they have messed about on this one since last January - and caused problems that didn't need to happen!
So I will be glad to have it done and dusted.
Jeanette
Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Internet Cafe All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: