portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index portrait-sculpture.com
A site provided for professional portrait and figurative sculptors, as well as serious students

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register(DISABLED)Register(DISABLED) 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mystery material

Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Internet Cafe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeanette Lewis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: mystery material Reply with quote

It may be obvious to everyone else, but I am wondering how this figure was constructed. (Yes, I am once again low on commissions and high in repair works again!)
The base seems to be wood but the inside looks like it has been laminated with either Jesmonite or something...?
I can't understand why it would have struts inside like this. There are quite a few criss- crossing haphazardly.

This is her outside appearance lying on my living room carpet -and no, she has not fainted from the action of my son's empty slipper at the top left.
Its not that I need to know what she is made of as I have only been asked to paint her up - but she has captured my curiosity.
Her "whiteness" is due to some very hard faux marble product - she is a bit of a mystery in all.
Mr.Menendez, where are you when I need you! Smile
Alison Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I have nothing to offer though. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jeanette Lewis

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alison,
I came across a description of a statue claiming to be made of " Spanish wood paste".
(Which suggests something mixed with sawdust to me; while trying to sound "fancy" - but then if anyone has used the stuff they may be able to correct me. ) the medium was brown and sanded like a wood and resin mix, but we found that odd parts of the statue were actually wood and inserted later - just weird Confused
I also wondered if the laths were there because it had been cast in an expandable foam - like they make theatre props from, as they need supports?
Anyways, thankfully she is now restored and ready to go.
thanks for the reply Smile
- isn't the forum quiet these days...?
Alison Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, way too quiet. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Stuart

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just realised that I haven't looked in recently........
Interesting as always!

It is possible to mix sawdust with various materials.........I've mixed with polyester resin in the past.

I'm carving wood at the moment, and sawdust mixed with wood glue is brilliant for any splitting that occurs.
S
Tamara

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure has been quiet but I still come back here and see if there's anything new. Hope all are doing well and still sculpting.

Stu- Yesterday I watched most of your dvd tutorial (have a little more to go to finish it). I forgot several of the tips you had given so it was a good refresher. Love your technique, finished work looks so fresh and alive.

What's everyone up to?
Jeanette Lewis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stuart,
hope the carving is going well, would love to try sculpting wood some day. Speaking of filler materials, I've been working on restoring a marble and reading up on how black flecks of iron in the limestone can be removed during sculpting and later filled to keep it white. I guess that means they would use marble dust and some kind of adhesive or resin?
I'm not aware of anyone on the forum who works in marble - is it unpopular these days? Or is expense a factor. Everyone seems to have a
yearning for bronze as THE thing to work in.
HI Tamara,
Still sculpting my Madonnas between the restoration work; they seem to have the effect of improving each other the more I do.
Hope your work is going well,
J
Alison Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing reliefs and have gotten some local sculptors and painters together to all work on a figure together. It's hard to fit it all in with two active boys and a newish baby though! Laughing
Jeanette Lewis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alison,
congratulations on the new-ish baby! Very Happy
sounds like you have lots to do. Hope its all going well.
J
Tamara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alison,

That sounds like a fun time to have several work on one project. I've often thought of trying that with kids. Have each of them take turns at adding something to the figure and see what they make in the end. It would be funny alright, I just know it. And then have some competition to see which one wins to keep the sculpture when it's fired and finished.

Share some pics when you can of your relief projects too.

~Tamara
Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Internet Cafe All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: