portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index portrait-sculpture.com
A site provided for professional portrait and figurative sculptors, as well as serious students

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register(DISABLED)Register(DISABLED) 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New mold making demo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heidi Maiers
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: New mold making demo Reply with quote

I have a few mold making demos scattered about on this forum. Don't think I've added any new ones in about 7 years. The process constantly evolves and I just posted some images for a new demo on my facebook page that may be of help to some of you.
https://www.facebook.com/heidi.maiers/media_set?set=a.10204841089094428.1455017232&type=3
http://portrait-sculpture.com/CoffeeFund.htm
Phil Minchinton

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see the process Heidi, a lot of work has gone into that commission and I look forward to seeing the end result.

Phil
Tamara

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your new process with us!

~Tamara
Glenn Michaels

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reviewing your mold making slide show and have some questions. Because I'm on the verge of "finishing" the largest piece I've made (27" x 21" x 19') - also plastilina with wax hands. Admittedly, I don't really know what I'm doing.

I should note that I have made multiple casts in the past, but all were much smaller pieces. Also, I did a pretty lousy job with the mold itself meaning that I did a whole lot of subsequent clean-up. I used a waste mold to build a plaster positive, then a silicon rubber > mother mold. I am quite familiar with Fortun and like it for its strength and durability. Never did care for plaster.

1) Air compressor to blow out bubbles? So you've painted on liquid something. You used an air compressor to blast away bubbles.
a) How strong an air flow?
b)Wouldn't the blasting process generate more bubbles, itself?
c) How affordable are air compressors and what size is most practical for the home studio?
d) Your rubber mold (#11) appears to be very thick? Is that an inch thick?
e) How do you calculate the amount of mold making rubber that you need? Or do you just reorder when what you have isn't sufficient?

2) Re your #7: Split the seams slightly with a razor blade and insert pieces of sheet aluminum.
a) This is not quite clear to me. Am I correct that you cutting at the base of the shim to create the seam on one side?
b) I take it you insert the aluminum shim until it grazes the surface of the piece?
c) What weight of aluminum? It must be pretty thin if you can hole punch it.
d) Are we talking about a paper hole puncher or something more robust?

3) Re your #9. Vaseline, then plasti-paste2 with fiberglass.
a) I presume that this make a relatively light-weight mother mold?
(I used to make plaster mother molds and they ended weighing a lot, even for relatively small pieces. For the piece I now plan to cast, I doubt that I would be strong enough to handle the result if I used plaster again.)

4) Re your #11. Why are you cleaning and sanding the shell (aka mother mold?)?

#5) So your plastilina did not adhere to the rubber mold at all? You didn't need to do any clean up of the rubber mold interior?

#6) How many castings are you able to generate from your rubber mold and what is its approximate lifespan?

#7) I am going to try and post a few pix of my piece in the Work in Progress area. I would welcome casting or other suggestions. I would actually prefer to have it cast professionally here in the Phoenix, AZ area, but I doubt that I could afford it. If you know folks in the area you might recommend as mold making pros, please feel free to pass along contact info.

Cool Any updates to share with regard to materials used in the mold making process? It has been about ten years since you shared this info.

I guess I should add that I don't expect to be able to afford to make a bronze. I'm figuring on casting a piece in Fortun or possibly, some other durable material. Resin or maybe aluminum. Open to suggestions here, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: