portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index portrait-sculpture.com
A site provided for professional portrait and figurative sculptors, as well as serious students

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register(DISABLED)Register(DISABLED) 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modeling stand
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> The Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamara

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Modeling stand Reply with quote

Hi ya all,

Just wanted to see if you feel that a sculpture stand is a necessary part of a sculptors equipment. I currently work while sitting down at a table with a table top sculpting stand (non-adjustable in height, just turns). The work can really only be viewed from one angle unless I adjust my chair. The table doesn't adjust. It's fixed.

Leaning over or holding my arms up to high seems to cause fatigue to my neck and sholders especially when sculpting for 8 hours straight. Shocked So I wondering if a standing position would be better for that and is that the preferred way to sculpt?

Which stand is considered the best kind?

Here are a few on that sculpture-depot website. Which one would be the best and again, is it necessary sculpting equipment for the trying to be serious sculptor? Confused

http://www.sculpture-depot.com/html/stands.htm

Here is a kind of almost standing up type of chair...
http://www.dickblick.com/categories/stools/

Would a stool be better?

Thanks for your suggestions and help Smile

Tamara
Heidi Maiers
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamara,
Investing in a good modeling stand was one of the best things I ever did for myself as a sculptor. I only wish I had done it 10 years earlier instead of struggling with the lame bar stool adaptation that I came up with at the time.
Unless a piece is small enough that you can pick it up while working on it and turn it all around in your hands, you really need a sturdy modeling stand that can be moved easily, turns easily, and with quick/convenient height adjustment is critical. If it isn't easy, you'll seldom move the sculpture when you work on it and it will become one dimensional - meaning it only looks right from the limited views you had of the piece while working on it.
The Crank Stand from sculpture depot looks like a good one. Here is another page full of modeling stands for any budget:

http://sculptshop.com/products/ModelingStands.php?SID=1129868977.5715

I have the El Dorado and didn't pay much less than that for it 6 years ago. You can use a stool while you sculpt if you must, but be careful about getting too comfortable. You'll want to move away from the piece frequently and look at it from across the room to keep perspectives in check. Working too close is a big mistake people make and it is easier to step back often if you work standing up. Another reason for a modeling stand - it's hard to work at a table standing up unless the piece is very big.

Bottom line - if you are serious about sculpting, you need a good modeling stand and a table will only do for so long. A stand is also critical if you plan to do any demonstrations at shows as it is portable.
http://portrait-sculpture.com/CoffeeFund.htm
Will Pettee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that beast "Hercules" -- Great stand, but it is a beast.
Tamara

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Heidi and Will for your advice on sculpting stands. Smile

Heidi, I really appreciate how you give all the reasons for why a stand is necessary and share your knowledge so kindly. I hope to follow your lead and help others with all that I know too. Smile

Since I plan to only buy a stand only once in a lifetime, I'll splurge and get the best! Thanks for the link. Wink

Tamara
Tamara

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Heidi and Will,

Was able to find a website called Montoya Sculpture & Supply that had the stands for the cheapest price.

http://www.montoyasculpture.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=70

The Eldorado is $450.00 and the Hercules is $675.00

With shipping out the door I purchased the Eldorado for $503.06

Was so tempted to get the Hercules but it's really over kill for what I'll be sculpting. I don't anticipate sculpting over the 200 lb maximum of the Eldorado.

Thanks so much for your help with this! Smile

Tamara
Will Pettee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheaper is better! Thanks for the link and have fun with your new toy.

Will
JerrySmith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I use for a sculting stand. It's cheap and not heavy duty but works for small pieces. If you have seen the shop lights on a tripod advertised you've seen what I use. I got mine for $24. I removed the lights and cut a 16x24 piece of plywood to fit on the "T" brace that held the shop lights. I have a home-made turn table on top of that. The tripod telescopes to good eye-level height. While this works for me, I must say I would prefer the stability of a professional sculpting stand. It's just not in my budget. -- Jerry
Katherine Dewey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another inexpensive stand is available through Phillipe Farault. I've used it in a classroom situation and it worked well for me, as I'm the one moving about and not the stand.

http://pcfstudios.com/sculptingaids.html
John

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig out this old thread to explain what I make-do for a sculpting stand. It is a sturdy kitchen table with two wheels sold by Ikea. On top I put a large ball bearing turntable used as base for round dining table lazy susan.

If I need the stand to be higher, I just put a short stool on top of the ikea table. To work, I sit on a bar stool, not a chair unless the sculpting is low down.

I have sculpted relatively large clay models on this arrangement, say 30 x 30 in, but not tall ones. I just put the clay model on top of a plywood board which sits on top of the turntable. The two wheels of the kitchen table are ideal for moving this relatively large clay model arround. I just lift the other end of the table and push or pull it.

I am sorry I cannot post my pictures. The images are still in my computer, and do not have URLs.

Last edited by John on Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Stuart

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've all pretty much sorted out Tamara's query there and i agree wholeheartedly with the need for a turning table that adjusts for height and the minute you can afford a 'real' one, it's the way to go.

However, I also made my own to begin with out of an old bar stool that turned, which I made firm on a baseboard. This gives you your height adjustment too. A nice solid piece of wood about 14" square on the top and you're there.

I've always found an 'architects' chair the best for close-up work............has a back on it and a lever-operated height adjustment.
Not at all expensive. Same thing as an ordinary office chair but much higher! Buy from an office suppliers or even better a second-hand office supplier. Gives you the chance to look at your work from many angles.

Stuart
Heidi Maiers
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, for posting photos, you can get some free web space from a site like Photobucket http://photobucket.com/
David Kim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this stool made by IKEA: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60155602/ The way its designed it looks like it'd be perfect to turn into a sculpture stand.

Tamara

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good price of only 39.99. Wink Looks like it would need a long smooth metal shaft to be greased up and then a locking sleeve with nut to hold it in place. That would be my rough evaluation but the local metal shop could figure out an affordable conversion fairly quickly I'm sure.

Thanks for sharing this!
Heidi Maiers
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first modeling stand was an adaptation of a bar stool - but this one looks a lot better than the one I started with! Nice wide base. Like that the seat can be twisted up and down. Probably doesn't get high enough (and may come apart or be unsturdy) if you crank it up all the way to get to a proper working height - but then you can work sitting down (not advisable) or put the whole thing up on a pedestal or attach some adjustable coaster wheels to get it up there. Probably high enough for a figure, but a head needs to be almost at head height to work on properly. Good find!
Stuart

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im an ex-IKea stool modelling stand user.......Brilliant cheap answer, especially if you're forming a group. 'Lazy Susans' work well for bench top revolving stands too!
Stuart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> The Studio All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: