portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index portrait-sculpture.com
A site provided for professional portrait and figurative sculptors, as well as serious students

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register(DISABLED)Register(DISABLED) 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modeling stand
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> The Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toby Mendez

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that this might be a cost prohibitive solution, but this is what I use.
This hydraulic table is perfect for raising and lowering the sculpture that you are working on, I tend to sit down while I work, so I lift and lower the sculpture to a perfect height and also there is enough room on the table for my tools. I have used this also for seven foot figures. It lifts up to 600 lbs. I am sure it is not recommended, but I have also used it to stand on and to elevate myself rather than using a ladder. These tables tend to cost around 300-400 dollars, the shipping can be pricey, I have used it for so many things.
Heidi Maiers
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is a great modeling stand Toby! Love that it can be used for small and huge things alike, and that it swivels. Very useful indeed. I could even picture rigging it up for holding a variety of tool holding bins close at hand and it has a nice flat platform at the base to hold your bag of clay. I bet yours doesn't still look that clean!!
http://portrait-sculpture.com/CoffeeFund.htm
Tamara

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a wonderful idea for a sculpting stand for large works!!!! Thanks Toby for sharing! Smile How high does yours lift? I see what looks like this one rated for 1100 lbs and will lift to 36 1/2". The one that is rated for 660 lbs will lift to 31 1/2." This table will go low to the ground, unlike my standard sculpting stand, so that is great for large sculptures!

Does the push handle get in the way of your sculpting or is it movable?
Tamara

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the one Toby has here:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/material-handling/lift-tables/mobile-scissor/scissor-lift-tables-up-to-1100-lb-capacity

For a sculpting platform for my lifesize children sculpture, 18" maquette shown here below, it would be great to have a lift table. Glad Toby posted when he did because I was just about to build a cart with wheels for sculpting on. Razz

Was thinking the hydraulic lift table's handle would be in the way (and doesn't fold down). There is a manual lift table with no handle (link below) but one thing I don't like about it is that it's minimum height is 17" whereas the one Toby shared goes down to 10 3/4" off the ground. It's nice to have it go as low as possible for when doing a standing figure.

http://www.amazon.com/Relius-Solutions-Mechanical-Mobile-Scissor/dp/B004GCUPFS

The manual lift weighs around 160 pounds so it could be transported in a vehicle and not be overly heavy to lift with two people doing so. Thought it would be good for transporting 1/3 lifesize works into my gallery or when doing gallery shows. But without a handle, we'd just have to push it along by pushing on the the edge of the table. That might work okay.... not sure though.

Any thoughts? Very Happy

~Tamara
Tamara

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be talking to myself here but anyway....

Another desired feature when choosing a scissor lift is to have one that will rise up and stay level. So many of the lifts have the scissor on one side of the table and that tends to make the lift table not level. The one Toby shared has the scissors stay right in the middle as the table is lifted- good design. It looks very sturdy and strong which will also keep it from tilting.

My only issue with it is it's a bit short for my needs and also, the handle which will be in the way of sculpting and "seeing" the sculpt from all angles.
Jeanette Lewis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful sculpture Tamara.
Phil Minchinton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tamara,

Great looking maquette, but there again I wouldn't expect any less from you!

Regarding the trolley lift, I have something very similar for lifting my large motorcycle in the air for servicing. I see that Toby has had good use from his and it does have a lot of features worth having. However, besides the drawbacks you have already noted ( handle / lowest position) there are a couple of other things worth noting.

The position of the castors in line with the frame means it will have a very narrow base and could become unstable sideways especially when the sculpture is elevated and you need to move it. The other points are that the front castors are fixed and won't allow the lift to be moved sideways at the front. Instead you are limited to shunting the trolley forwards and backwards. The final thing is that without some form of stabilising the sculpture on the platform, those polyurethane castors having a small diameter, will be easily stopped by the smallest bit of debris on the ground which in turn could cause the sculpture to topple if you need to move it. These type of wheels are only really intended for use on smooth surfaces.

Sorry if I sound negative, I know it could address a lot of your needs but I thought I'd just point these bits out.

Regards

Phil
Tamara

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jeanette and Phil for liking my maquette. More pics, if interested, are here Smile : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.825717144131839.1073741828.176348919068668&type=1

Those are good points to keep in mind Phil. Thanks a lot for mentioning them. The toppling over is a very real concern. Oh, wouldn't that be awful! I'll be sure to move the lift only after lowering it. The wheels are rigid polyurethane casters instead of the rubberized kind like my sculpture stand has. I'll be using this lift table mainly in my concrete slab garage and have to keep the floor free of gravel. Guess using it for transporting sculpts from my car to the gallery will have to done very carefully, with the lift all the way down to the lowest level and then one person stabilizing the top of the sculpture in case of bumps.

Another thing I realized when searching is that these lifts have the potential to drop suddenly and the specs say to not have a load on the lift for more than 2 hours. A new lift I'm considering on purchasing has a feature where you lock a safety bar in place once you get the lift to the desired height. Sounds good to me. I would think that this would take some of the pressure off of the hydraulic system, so that the lift could stay up for an extended time and be okay.

The new lift is rated for 2200 pounds and weighs 253 pounds, so I won't be taking this one out and about too much. But I like that it has a longer table, 39 3/8". I tend to make sculptures that are wide, so I figure, I better go with that for now. Later, I can always buy a lighter weight and smaller table top lift (if I like how these lift tables perform for sculpting).

I can unbolt one side of the handle so that the handle pivots on only one point and is more out of the way while sculpting.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200631995_200631995

Thanks again for your input!

~Tamara
Lori

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your sculpt is gorgeous~

Lori Kiplinger Pandy
www.kiplingerpandy.com
http://lorikiplingerpandy.blogspot.com/
Tamara

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Very Happy I'm grateful that it turned out. Smile
Jeanette Lewis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows this for a modest starter turntable? http://www.specialplasters.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=384
Haven't tried it as I have the things I need now- it says it takes 30 kg weight, I would think that it might do for small models if someone is a beginner.its certainly cheap enough!
Tamara

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small plastic turntables are great to have for any sculptor IMO. I have one too and use it for small quickie fun clay projects- flowers, animals, jewelry etc. Great for teaching kids to sculpt. They love to turn it round and round and feel like they are a real sculptor with a work station.

Still not sure about which table lift I'm going to get. I have some time because I can't start sculpting the enlargement until the mold is made of the maquette. I went to Harbor Freight and looked at a 32" X 20" (table size) lift and the hydraulic fluid was leaking out. Confused I noticed that the lift has a rubber plug. Some lifts have plugs that are screwed in which is more secure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> The Studio All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: