portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index portrait-sculpture.com
A site provided for professional portrait and figurative sculptors, as well as serious students

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register(DISABLED)Register(DISABLED) 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting a Local Studio Group

Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> The Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heidi Maiers
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Starting a Local Studio Group Reply with quote

I liked this topic from Stuart in another thread and thought it deserved its own topic for discussion:

This can work in both city and small community enviornments and is very valuable for all concerned. There are even peole who have always wanted to do this and are so hungry for art.
If you call it a sculpture & drawing group you widen your net. Call it a 'beginners' class and the net grows wider.
A few fliers will bring them in.

A space of course is essential. often communities have unused areas that they prefer to rent for a nominal rent rather than stand idle. tell them it's to expand the cultural activities of the area and for the greater good of the community etc. etc. Also churches very often have rooms they're not using and usually like this kind of community spirit.

Model: There are always people in the community who have no work, no connections and could use a few bucks. Older people who have often led a productive life and now find themselves dumped by society for one reason or another make great subjects What is reasonable for sitting for a couple of hours (with a few breaks where people will chat and have coffee at these intervals) will vary from place to place but be as generous as possible. The chance to mix and be paid for it can be attractive.

Equipment: People who come to draw bring their own easals, pads pencils etc. Sculptors will need simple modelling stands. A 'lazy-susan' or revolving cake stand makes a great head modelling stand..... or makle something with 2 pieces of wood and small furniture castors. You just need a firm stool or small table to stand it on.
Plenty of plastic for the floor which can be re-used each week.

Cost: Again this will vary from area to area ($20 a class?) from each person. Whatever people can afford to make it great.

Control: One person needs to be seen as the organizer. keep it quiet during work time, call the breaks and the turning of the model and clearing up time. Another person could collect subs.

One evening a week for 3-4 hours
Break ten minutes before the end of the class and everyone mucks in to clean up.
Then it's down to the local bar or coffee house to talk art or whatever. I have participated in both private and council run art groups both as student and teacher and it is to look forward to each week and endlessly valuable. Sometimes local teachers can be encouraged to participate.

Stuart
http://portrait-sculpture.com/CoffeeFund.htm
Tamara

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stuart for the info. Wish you lived around here to arrange it and then I'd attend. Smile Things like that can enrich a person's life on so many levels.- Good friendship, food and our favorite past time - sculpting! Problem is finding enery and time to get something together.

I'm sure this will be something I do when I'm an old lady though... when life has slowed down (will it all slow down when you're old? - I see those little old ladies who fall asleep in their chair while sitting up and wonder how they do it? Can you relax that much to do that? Guess if life is slow and easy you can. Very Happy )

~Tamara
Stuart

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Tamara
Easier than you think, especially if there are 2 or 3 like-minded people to get it going. The space is the main thing...........Church buildings are the best bet. If the equipment/mess poses a problem, make it 'just' a life-drawing group. Anything where you can study intensively 1 evening a week. The students were of all ages.
Anyway, just a thought.............
Stuart
Stuart

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Learning about the human figure. Reply with quote

Just reviewing a few old posts.........and came across this one I wrote a while ago.
It really can work.
there are 2 similar projects within 10 minutes (by car) of my own studio here. One is in a disused rented space, the other in a privately owned studio.
I've been teaching a regular group at the studio of my friend Paulina Arcos, and they've produced remarkable nude figures, using local models, both of whom really needed the cash, being single parents with small children. They are paid well.

Now I've switched around and become their student as it were. I'm learning about ceramics, something that's always interested me, and my next portrait, of the writer Bruno Schultz, (personal project) will be fired and glazed. I'm rather excited at tackling something new.
Exchanging Knowledge is a great way to go..........
Tamara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea to get together and share the costs of a model. That is neat that you are getting into the firing and glazing part of working with water based clay. I look forward to seeing the results on your portrait.
Stuart

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tamara , the 'old ladies' I've come across in my various sculpture groups, have more pazazz in them than the younger folks, so you've got something to look fwd. to!!
Tamara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I know! The local Monday afternoon sketch group with live model here in town are the greatest fun. They are mostly 70 plus years old. I tried to bring my clay and sketch in clay but they only have 15 minute poses. I took pics and could have refined more later though. But the "older ladies" are inspiring for sure! All that life experience coupled with the mellowing of age brings about great charm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> The Studio All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: