portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index portrait-sculpture.com
A site provided for professional portrait and figurative sculptors, as well as serious students

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register(DISABLED)Register(DISABLED) 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cost of casting
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Internet Cafe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lori

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point on the mold. I did request a mold from my Harriet Tubman bust that I could do for wax or resin - although I've not done any resin yet. I'm also wondering if there is any impact on the bronze sales with resin available...

Lori Kiplinger Pandy
www.kiplingerpandy.com
http://lorikiplingerpandy.blogspot.com/
Tamara

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check with my gallery and see what she says.

Stuart- Do you know if aqua resin is less harsh on a mold then regular resin. I know my foundry cautioned me to not use resin in my molds that are for bronze casting. Resin breaks down a mold more quickly.
Stuart

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good quality silicone rubber mould should get you through many casts in various materials, and aqua resin wouldn't normally damage it.
This mould would also be good to cast the wax required for bronze casting.

Casting polyester resin can be a problem. For this I would make a separate mould.

Having said that always have a master that can be re-moulded in case of a disaster.

Try and make a one-piece mould if possible. Add a 'flash' made out of plastilene or some such material to get you past empty spaces and awkward elbows/corners etc. that can be removed after you've cast the piece.

Silicone rubber is expensive but worth it. Anything less than the size of a head, you don't have to pay anyone to make the mould either. You can make the mould over a weekend complete with outer or mother mould which can be made with plaster, resin or aqua resin.

There is a 'how to' about making a silicone mould somewhere on this site.

Stuart
Tamara

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Stuart. It sounds like Aqua Resin is less damaging to a mold then polyester resin. Good info to know. Very good. It makes me want to try out a resin or two, in each mold when I first make the mold, so that I can practice patina choices on them. They would also make good foundry proofs for the foundry to use.

I always make a master plaster in case a new mold needs to be made later. Think I'll get some aqua resin though for additional few more copies.

Do you pour your aqua resin casts solid?
Stuart

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I responded to this before, but for some reason it didn't show here......anyway..

Don't think aqua resin casts or anything you choose will hurt your bronze sales, nor will it hurt your silicone rubber mould if it's good quality rubber and been mixed correctly.

Don't think of the material as being inferior to bronze............more that it suits the sculpture better or is just an alternative. It is the Art your selling!
You can also create separate limited editions in different materials.

In fact bronze doesn't suit everything. I've even sold pieces cast in super hard plaster with metal fillers and pigments...........as long as you describe the chosen material it doesn't matter.

Polyester resin with fibre glass filler and it's fumes is more likely to adversely affect your silicone mould than aqua resin.

Good quality silicone rubber moulds, made carefully with the right mix, should last an age, and you can make them yourself with practice. There's a 'how to' somewhere on this site.

Good idea to always keep a good master copy of your work just in case.
Stuart
Tamara

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stuart. Good info to know. Wink

~Tamara
Stuart

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: aqua resin Reply with quote

I think it best to paint in your first coat, into all the corners, blowing as you go, then pour a second before it goes off entirely, and then swill again until it goes thick and back it up with fibre glass.......
s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Internet Cafe All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: