portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index portrait-sculpture.com
A site provided for professional portrait and figurative sculptors, as well as serious students

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register(DISABLED)Register(DISABLED) 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loveland sculpture show

Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Internet Cafe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim LeVane

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Loveland sculpture show Reply with quote

I went to Art in the park and Loveland invitational sculpture show today. was a lot of fun. Meet quite a few really nice bronze sculptors and also recontacted a few old friends. I spent around 4 hours just chatting and looking. Mostly figurative work but at least one or two folks who did some portraiture.Animals where also widely represented.

One funny thing was that when I mentioned that I was interested in portraiture several artists said "oh your one of those" or mentioned that portrait artists had to be slightly off or slightly crazy. Now to be fair most of the sculptors I spoke to said thats great keep at it!

All and all a fun day out
Toby Mendez

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were sales like. I just am curious out how the economy has affected these sorts of things.
Tim LeVane

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think sales where a bit slow but still happening, many told me they had sold at least one or two pieces. smaller works seem to be doing well. A lot of artists where there for the first time.

Works in the 1500 to 2500 range seem to be moving the best. A lot of the better figurative artists told me they had picked up a few commissions.

The show was scaled back from what it had been in years past, and a lot of folks did not come this year.

Keep in mind this is just my personal impression and I only spoke to artists whose work I was interested in ( primarily figure and wildlife). There was a ton of abstract works present and even a potter ( whose work was fantastic)
All told I spoke at length with maybe 8 or 9 artists . I came home with contact information on 5 artists whom I wanted to keep track of
Heidi Maiers
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"One of those"? Wonder what that implies?
http://portrait-sculpture.com/CoffeeFund.htm
Stuart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: One of those..... Reply with quote

Tim's piece made me smile.........

Auto-didact (one who is self taught)
Another of those groups that I’m one of. There are probably a few more.........’an only child’ for example (spoiled in childhood of course), and most definitely a portrait sculptor (sign of the cross required in some circles)
I would certainly not wish to write in defence of our condition, considering our shared ailment to be an extraordinary blessing, where the desire is not merely to copy but to express something about an individual and sometimes ourselves in a very special way.
To be deeply disposed towards human portraiture I imagine requires the artist to be extraordinarily intrigued by his/her/ fellow humans. Anything less can’t produce the results I believe.
Sometimes the ‘Avant Garde’ or fashionable ones who shun the ‘traditional’ (another dirty word in some academic circles) find themselves confronted with the terrible dilemma of being asked to produce a portrait of someone. Usually a pile of cash will cure this temporary malady.
Fortunately, the art game is a big one and there’s plenty of space for developing one’s own bent, and if portrait sculpture is the area ‘that blows your frock off’ go for it. So much to learn and so much to enjoy.
Figurative art seems to be alive and well. Some great stuff on Paula O’Brien’s blogspot here.
http://figurativeartists.blogspot.com/2010/08/figurative-artist-slide-show-1-is-up.html
Tim LeVane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update on the show, over 1 million in sales this year- 79% of the artists where able to make sales and the show drew around 15000 people-

higher sales this year was believed in part to be due to the fact that many first time buyers where able to spend more time talking to the artists than in years past and make that personal connection.
Jeanette Lewis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just re-visiting a thought I had about the "one of those " phrase...
Its disappointing when some fellow artists are closed to an avenue of creativity that differs from theirs.
They don't know (and might never know) what they're missing I guess. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Internet Cafe All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: