portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index portrait-sculpture.com
A site provided for professional portrait and figurative sculptors, as well as serious students

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register(DISABLED)Register(DISABLED) 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sound of casting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Internet Cafe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeanette Lewis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: sound of casting Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have just been given two "vintage" statues to keep as a gift. (Like I need more (not) - Smile but the kind thought was there bless 'em
One way I test my plaster casts are thoroughly dry is to give them a flick with my finger and the higher the sound the drier they are.
These figures sound like a tin cow bell, are hollow and light for their size, but strong and finely detailed.
My sister said they were tin, I just agreed Wink as she hasn't a clue about sculpting stuff.
They are plaster - but what type I wonder?
Some of the plaster statues I've repaired are really friable and chalky, but these are quite the opposite.
They are too light to be Plaster of Paris ( the architectural stuff is too heavy, )regular casting plaster not so sharp on the detail.
I am yet to try out for myself the Crystocal R or Herculite I have in my shed.
Would anyone like to hazard a guess for me as to what type of plaster this could be?
I realise that sculptors mix their plasters and have their own recipies, ( as I do that myself!)
With thanks to anyone who may be able to suggest a possibility and ease my curiosity! Very Happy
Alison Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could possibly be mixed with something like this: http://sculptshop.com/viewproducts.php?id=EpZuyFlFylyGqrQyhf&SID=1298499150.53580
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Phil Minchinton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeanete,

Taking on Alison's suggestion of the added bone, could they possibly be made of a slip cast bisque - like Parian Ware?

Regards

Phil
Jeanette Lewis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alison and Phil,
The statues have the kind of detail that is sharper than others I've "felt" - which is I think one of the characteristics of Parian ware - good detail. Thanks for that thought - Phil; is Parian ware some kind of ceramic?
I think ALison, you may have "Hit the nail on the head" so to speak - Very Happy
As you can see from the photos below, the leg was missing on the baby. When I prepped it for repair, the dust felt grainy or bony as is described in the link.
(Thanks for that - very intersting!) Idea
There is seldom a makers label or sculptors marks on older plaster pieces, and when working on them I can't help wondering about who made them - and when. I always feel I want to bring out - if I can- the best in the sculptors work.
I haven't finished working on this one yet;- I reckon these were made about 1910, (but just a guess) - Because this repair isn't for a client I was able to make a few changes that pleased myself - probably just devalued them by at least 70 quid in the process. Shocked oops!

Thank you both again for your suggestions, much appreciated Very Happy
Jeanette
Stuart

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Querky tale
Talking of bones and statues:

At the San Francisco Monestary Museum in Quito, Ecuador there is a statue of a Saint. The head is purported to be modelled over the skull which had once belonged to the saint himself.

Then along came the Smithsonian people with their equipment and discovered that the skull had belonged to a young woman.
Strange to think of one's skull being appropriated in such a manner and locked away for all eternity inside the sculpture of a saint.

Stuart
Jeanette Lewis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stuart,
Maybe he/she was the inspiration for the first bone china idea?! Very Happy
(Or the phrase " getting plastered!")
jeanette
Stuart

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chortle chortle..........
Jeanette you're such a card
S
Jeanette Lewis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stuart,
I tried googling bone emulsion to see if it is available here in England, but only found an acrylic hardener. I don't know if there is a chemical name for bone emulsion that I should be looking for.
I know warm water sets up plaster quicker; but I am more intrigued with improving the hardness of my own casts now.
I remembered that you once suggested that some kind of salts can harden a plaster - (but my garralousnes is my downfall, so many posts to search and so little time! Smile )
Could you possibly re-iterate that bit of information for this bone head?
Thanks
Jeanette
Phil Minchinton

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeanette,

I found this site which looks quite interesting.
http://www.specialplasters.co.uk/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=4

Regards

Phil
Roger Andrews

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Phil,

Many thanks for posting that link, they have an excellent range of products with helpful notes and reasonable prices too, great find thanks again.

Roger
Jeanette Lewis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,
thanks for the link, some interesting stuff on there especially about outoor plaster -
Jeanette
Smile
Phil Minchinton

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger / Jeanette, just a lucky find but as you say, some useful stuff and at reasonable prices which makes a pleasant change.

Regards

Phil
Jeanette Lewis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
A post script; - I wonder if bone emulsion ceased to be produced in England after the " mad cow " scare some years back, a lot of animal by-products were withdrawn then.
Everything now seems to be acrylic or resin based.
thanks again for all your suggestions
Jeanette
Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Internet Cafe All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: