portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index portrait-sculpture.com
A site provided for professional portrait and figurative sculptors, as well as serious students

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register(DISABLED)Register(DISABLED) 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Realism' and it's cousins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Internet Cafe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: 'Realism' and it's cousins Reply with quote

A friend of mine, head of painting at a University here, and an incredible artist sends me all kinds of art stuff he comes across. Here is a recent link he sent me, knowing of my thoughts on realism accuracy etc.
http://io9.com/5848264/japanese-company-real+f-makes-really-f+ing-accurate-3+d-copies-of-your-face/gallery/6
After looking at this with interest I wrote back:

Thanks Eduardo
Tussauds played with computerized, mechanized accuracy many years ago, in an attempt to get rid of us (the sculptors) I suppose.............

Funny thing is, for some weird reason, the more accurate you make it, the less it looks real. It's all to do with the fact that it is static. No matter how many pores or tiny hairs or creases you add, it's still frozen. You're in the land of dolls. Faces go through a myriad of changes in a split second. The sculptor or painter does something different.........captures some essence or spirit or presence.

He wrote back:

Those are insightful commentaries!
By the way, there is this curious paradox about robotics and CG animation called " the uncanny valley" that is concerned with this topic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

which makes some very interesting reading id you've got half an hour to spare!
I replied:

What I find intriguing is the variety of directions the question is being approached from.
I think they make some interesting 'scientific' points, but they need an artist or 2 in there to give it some 'meat'.
Accuracy was the banner of the chief sculptor at one of our studios at Tussauds, and oh my, were his waxworks accurate. Curiously though, and to his confusion his figures didn't have the special quality we called presence, for want of perhaps a better explanation.. Another powerful element is the 'popular image'. i.e. How the public see the celebrity.

This may seem strange to say, but we don't always look like ourselves.....................There is so much going on there , it doesn't require a mask to somehow'capture' the face, but an individual with an empathetic nature and peculiar skills.........in short, An Artist!

Super-realism of course has been taken to extraordinary level, and by at least one contributor to this forum, and has become an almost seperate genre. Although the skills employed are extraordinary, and the results often stunning, I believe the art is in the circumstances that we experience these sculptures or the unusual scale or action chosen by the artist.
S
Tamara

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that seems doubly hard to do some with ultra realism but then try to give it presence as well; have it sort of come to life and have the celebrity's spirit come through of which the public can feel when looking at the super real portrait. Now that takes talent!
Mark Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Is it Cad Cam Reply with quote

In the dental lab we do cad cam 80,000 copied points of an original prep and thus removing the need for dental impression download it via computer and walla we have a crown. The cad cam is more important on the prep side and that is where the intricTE PART IS USED. iF NOT THESE FOLKS ARE UNREAL AND SHOULD BE WATCH BY THE SECRET SERVICE. lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Internet Cafe All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: